What features should we work on?

Customize categories

Even if you could just create "subcategories" under a specific categoty to fit your needs. For instance, under "assets", I would put "music" and "equipment". Under "office supplies", I might add "lesson supplies". I am a music teacher. This would still be aligned with the schedule c categories, bit would allow me to stay more organized as these broad categories apply to my business.

2,095 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminQB Self-Employed Team (Admin, QuickBooks Self-Employed) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you so much for your phenomenal ideas! We know implementing custom categories has been our most requested feature since we launched QuickBooks Self-Employed.

In order to make sure we provide the best possible solution, we’re actively researching how we could approach this so that it solves for the primary concerns that folks have raised here while also preserving the integrity of the Schedule C categories to ensure your Estimated Taxes aren’t negatively impacted.

We’ll keep you in the loop on our progress and will share any details as soon as we have them. In the meantime, keep the feedback coming!

325 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Here's how you do it: Have two separate tags. Each and every transaction gets a tag to assign it to one of the three schedule C categories. Then, after expenses are tagged for tax reasons, you allow users to put them into whatever custom category they want with another tag. In your database, you have a category column, containing the user's custom categories. Each transaction has a field with it's category's primary key. On each transaction there's another field for which schedule C category the transaction belongs to. A cake walk feature, guys. Not to mention it's the whole point of using an accounting software, and you're missing it.

I dropped my subscription not an hour after signing up once I realized that you don't have this incredibly basic feature. This is literally the only reason I signed up, I want to organize my spending and see where my money is going, in a way that syncs to my bank account. "business" "personal" and "transaction" may be good for the IRS, but I'm not the IRS. Those categories are entirely useless to me except during tax time. Why would I pay for a subscription year round for something I'm only going to use once a year?

• NA commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really cannot believe that you cannot change the system to allow this, it is making the self-employed software virtually useless. Additionally, the data cannot be transferred to Online? REALLY??? This fact should be disclosed to customers prior to signing up for self-employed. Fail.

• Tabitha Elliott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why can't you add tags so a person could sort out the different sources of their income for their own purposes? That wouldn't mess with your categories at all. I'm cancelling because it just doesn't function for me without the ability to create custom categories.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about having a separate nested label system (similar to Gmail "folders") for each transaction which can be used to report against, and keep the current categories for Schedule C purposes only.

its important to be able to sub cat and analyse otherwise there are free options on the market that have more flexibility. To only be able to record one type of business income is ridiculous. To make this system really usable there needs to be much better reporting and analysis as the reports that are there are too basic and inflexible. Im a little disappointed to be honest as my spreadsheets were giving me more information

• Stuart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sub Categories should be implemented in the following way. A sub-category can only be created as a child of an IRS Schedule C Category. Their usefulness to the user comes in being able to review transactions within those sub-categories as a bookkeeping measure. Do it this way and sub-categories won't negatively impact how your app syncs with Turbo Tax.

• Chris Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm fascinated to see people here still using MS Money. Can't understand why it was withdrawn, I've repeatedly tried current packages but I can't find anything remotely as comprehensive, customisable or flexible as it. I run a property portfolio so am not interested in being able to issue invoices or VAT, but do want to be able to see where my cost centres are with custom reports. Unless I'm missing something, QB Self Employed at least on the trial version only really allows me to crudely split expenses by "Business" or "Personal". I have 328 specific categories and sub categories in my Money accounts!! All quickly searchable. Looks like the 2018-19 tax year is going to be Money again, as long as W10 allows the web based advice patches that keep it working. But it would be nice to have my accounts in eh Cloud and on an App.

• Catherine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just finished working on the income categories on my taxes. I do work that technically should be divided into 3+ categories, and I just spent a few hours adding and subtracting by hand to figure out what to list where. Also, if you have more than one type of gig, you cannot choose which gig to apply the expenses to.

Subcategories would make it easier for us to see what expenses exactly cost for example I’m a cabdriver and it’s impossible for me to differentiate between cost of fuel insurance maintenance finance current app also don’t allow us to follow up on personal spending like food rent utilities starting to become really Annoying I think I will be looking into other apps

• Gail Ferrell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since I need to categorize all expenses as Business or Personal, I would like to assign personal expenses into categories as well as the Business expenses. I have not seen a way to categorize Personal expenses in Quick Books Self Employed.

I have not found a category for out of pocket medical expenses or prescriptions under the categories under Business expenses. Did I miss something?

• John Griffith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just use one of the other unused categories as a substitute and then keep a "Cheat sheet" so you know what it really represents. This will work for me as I do not use the tax prep built in. I deal with an accountant. Tracking receipts and automatically downloading bank transactions is too powerful for me to ditch it. They do HAVE to add in custom categories I agree but I think they will at some point. Programming and making that all work without screwing everything else up is tedious work.

• Peter Borcherds commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I should also add that with MS Money I can see all my ISA's, Savings & Credit Card accounts on one screen, even keep track of my Frequent Flier miles!

Still can't believe there is no current software that can do all that! About the one thing that Microsoft did right! :-)

• Peter Borcherds commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I currently use the 2004 version of Microsoft Money (which thankfully still works on Win10!) as I am self-employed and this allows me to easily keep track of personal and business accounts, plus allows me to add whatever category or sub category I want.

This means I can run reports and see exactly what I am spending on say, holiday accommodation, or household garden or kitchen, or business income, broken down into various sub-categories, not just lumped in under 'business income'.

I can't believe there is no modern software out there at the moment that gives me exactly the same functionality as a 14 year old piece of software! I tried the new QuickBooks system, but it was very limiting with regards to categories, which in effect made it useless for my requirements.

So, for now looks like I will have to stick with the (free) 2004 MS Money to keep track of my finances!

• Kelly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be SO much better if I could set it up for a schedule F. With additional pencil & paper tracking, I can make it work for my needs...will keep using as long as it's free with my tax return again next year.

• Jaime commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How can Intuit overlook category flexibility? That's a deal breaker for me, especially because they have several products that use this same feature. They probably do not care enough about their customers' concerns to make it happen...

← Previous 1 3 4 5 16 17

Feedback and Knowledge Base