What features should we work on?

Customize categories

Even if you could just create "subcategories" under a specific categoty to fit your needs. For instance, under "assets", I would put "music" and "equipment". Under "office supplies", I might add "lesson supplies". I am a music teacher. This would still be aligned with the schedule c categories, bit would allow me to stay more organized as these broad categories apply to my business.

2,016 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminQB Self-Employed Team (Admin, QuickBooks Self-Employed) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you so much for your phenomenal ideas! We know implementing custom categories has been our most requested feature since we launched QuickBooks Self-Employed.

In order to make sure we provide the best possible solution, we’re actively researching how we could approach this so that it solves for the primary concerns that folks have raised here while also preserving the integrity of the Schedule C categories to ensure your Estimated Taxes aren’t negatively impacted.

We’ll keep you in the loop on our progress and will share any details as soon as we have them. In the meantime, keep the feedback coming!

303 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am in the entertainment industry, and almost all of my usual categories would fall in "other business," basically renders the whole organization for tax purposes useless. Will have to pass on your software until custom categories is an option.

• MIke Natale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for the reply. I have used the "uncategorized" category as a place holder for my account. not the best workaround

• dressyoursoulkv@gmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Only mention of "inventory" is not to use the Materials category for inventory. Too many small businesses buy and resell product for this to have been overlooked, yet I can't find where to enter my product.

• MIke Natale commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with many of the comments! It's important to customize categories or add a sub category that perhaps allows the self-employed to have a discussion later with their account or advisor.

• ajeclizm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just realized this was suggested almost 3 years ago, and it still hasn't happened. Do these feature requests actually make any difference?

• ajeclizm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES PLEASE. You need sub-categories for Income as well, because Schedule C requires you to report 1099-Misc, 1099-K, and other cash receipts separately. Quickbooks lumps all three together under "Income" with no subcategories.

• Adam Vincent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You should make some sort of category as "inventory" or "purchased product" or something like that so when you buy product from a supplier to sell, you could more accurately label those transactions; to make product/inventory management easier.

• Beverly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why can't I add personal spending via the mobile app? It only gives me the option of business spending or business income. When I click on the add transactions button on the desktop version, I have the same problem.

• Alaia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is definitely a feature that should be pushed to the forefront. So many of us want this and it would help us organize financially and have better insight into our expenses if we could customize categories.

Why does one check not show up in the profit and loss report for the fiscal year? this makes me wonder if more are missing.

• Rye commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ALLOW FOR CUSTOM CATEGORIES OR THIS APP ONLY SUITS THE SUITS! (BUSINESS MEN) NOT FREELANCERS IN THE CREATIVE FIELD! Sort it out and this app would be ideal...

Has any progress been made here?
        I really want to add more categories to understand my expenses better.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OK this is frustrating, because I really like everything else. I really would like to catorgorise my personal expenses too. I've even looked into upgrading to small buisiness, but this isn't possible without closing the self employed account manually transferring everything across. Even then I'm not sure if small business would allow me to make personal catergories.

• orielcollins@gmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot edit the categories provided? They aren’t even close to the amount of categories I need. I also need to change the titles to what suits my needs as a freelancer. Otherwise this app is of no use to me. :/

Interface with Self Employed QuickBooks is nice. Just needs way more features. Quicken has way more better features for the Personal with Business Version

Need personal categories in addition to just business categories. Please advise.

• CHRISTINE TUPE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Had to cancel my account, because there's no way to differentiate between Income and Capital. I can't have my Capital deposits be marked as Income. Also, need a category for Charitable Giving.

• Cady commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Customer service was unable to provide a list of all expense categories that don't show up on the QB reports - please publish a list

← Previous 1 3 4 5 15 16

Feedback and Knowledge Base