I suggest you...

Customize categories

Even if you could just create "subcategories" under a specific categoty to fit your needs. For instance, under "assets", I would put "music" and "equipment". Under "office supplies", I might add "lesson supplies". I am a music teacher. This would still be aligned with the schedule c categories, bit would allow me to stay more organized as these broad categories apply to my business.

1,868 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    QB Self-Employed TeamAdminQB Self-Employed Team (Admin, QuickBooks Self-Employed) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

160 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Disgruntled but sticking with Q2007Disgruntled but sticking with Q2007 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Intuit said: Sorry, you can't create custom categories in our app. Why? Because the categories we include have to have a 1:1 match with the IRS Schedule C categories form for self-employed individuals.

This is absurd and false. My schedule C for the last 18 years has had a series of self-defined categories; the form has a place with blank categories exactly for this purpose.

• Disgruntled but sticking with Q2007Disgruntled but sticking with Q2007 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a deal-breaker for me. I am a consultant with specialized expenses - particular expenses are expensive enough that they can't simply be tossed in with these broad categories, and they don't fit in assets or anywhere else.

• Phil MilerPhil Miler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For over 2 years we've been asking the same thing. Customizable Sub-Categories. Why don't you listen? Over 1700 votes and nothing! QBSE has competitors. Deductr allows you to create the sub-categories. What are you waiting for? To lose all your client base?

• ShaneShane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And this should, along with all the other subcategories, be printable on the P& L / Tax Reports.

None of the subcategories print on the reports.

• RR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like allowing users to modify categories would fix a lot of the suggestions on this board.

But for all of you, just so you know, you can just use the categories that are given and change/add names in excel. So allocate your music and equipment to "office supplies". Then when you go to Tax Reports, download the Tax Details summary, and this will give you an XLS of a summary of your total categories, and separate tab worksheets of each category's expense. All you need to do is change the name of "Office supplies" in excel to "music, equipment" OR a better idea, add in parentheses (Music, Equipment). EASY. Change the name or put your additional name in parenthesis beside the category where you allocated.

• Jon LyleJon Lyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is probably because they want us on QB Online a higher price point for them!

• VickieVickie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very disappointed I can not create a custom category. Renders it inadequate for most people.

• Bill MinterBill Minter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this is a deal killer for us. Wife is a Realtor, I am a consultant. We have got to have customizable categories or tags or some way to make this work. I should have done the trial because I would have bailed when I found this out.

• Jack WillisJack Willis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried calling your Customer Support @1-855-955-6617.But agents are all busy,Second time my call was on wait and got dropped.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let us guide you to the quickest answer
        from out QuickBooks expert. Call us: 1 866 560 7666

• David BeverleyDavid Beverley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just subscribed to QB self employed. Looks good but it's really strange that I can't customise expense categories. Given how many different types of businesses exist, a glaring omission. I'm having to group things together under general headings that don't relate to my business and remember to decipher later. Not good. Still early enough in the tax year to change brands I guess

This is a really important feature that's missing. Please include it! It's the only thing preventing me from using the app.

• ValerieValerie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an important issue for me as well. Maybe QBSE could add a 'tagging' function, so we can create custom tags (that apply to our specific business needs) to the 'Other Expenses' on schedule C. As long as we can sort them and export an excel sheet with the tags.

According to the video I should have "chart of account's by the gear...it doesn't exist. Is this some sort of update?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base