What features should we work on?

Customize categories

Even if you could just create "subcategories" under a specific categoty to fit your needs. For instance, under "assets", I would put "music" and "equipment". Under "office supplies", I might add "lesson supplies". I am a music teacher. This would still be aligned with the schedule c categories, bit would allow me to stay more organized as these broad categories apply to my business.

2,943 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AdminQB Self-Employed Team (Admin, QuickBooks Self-Employed) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

290 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OK this is frustrating, because I really like everything else. I really would like to catorgorise my personal expenses too. I've even looked into upgrading to small buisiness, but this isn't possible without closing the self employed account manually transferring everything across. Even then I'm not sure if small business would allow me to make personal catergories.

• orielcollins@gmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cannot edit the categories provided? They aren’t even close to the amount of categories I need. I also need to change the titles to what suits my needs as a freelancer. Otherwise this app is of no use to me. :/

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Interface with Self Employed QuickBooks is nice. Just needs way more features. Quicken has way more better features for the Personal with Business Version

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need personal categories in addition to just business categories. Please advise.

• CHRISTINE TUPE commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Had to cancel my account, because there's no way to differentiate between Income and Capital. I can't have my Capital deposits be marked as Income. Also, need a category for Charitable Giving.

• Cady commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Customer service was unable to provide a list of all expense categories that don't show up on the QB reports - please publish a list

• SARA BRADLEY commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With all the disasters and charitable contributions it would be really helpful to have this category! It's tax deductible...

• arrowisllc@gmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There’s a category listed as “Personal Withdrawl” also known as “owners draw”. Quickbooks says this is the category used when you pay yourself. I use it and it does not affect any of the numbers.

• Mark Haas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Further to my comment below, think of what are probably the many QuickBooks Self-Employed users who have used the reports generated by this software to prepare their returns. Many businesses have expenses that do not fall into any of the ready-made buckets listed on Schedule C, so the business owner has no choice but to classify the expense as "Other business expenses" in QuickBooks with no sub-category.

So they end up putting a big number down for Line 27a, "Other expenses," with none of the breakdown required by Part V. This invites scrutiny and all the headaches that come with it.

• Mark Haas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The instructions to Schedule C require the preparer to sub-categorize "Other business expenses." At this time there is no way for the QuickBooks Self-Employed edition user to add an account in order to do this, so the preparer has to manually review and sub-categorize the detail for this account, for the entire year. This unnecessarily increases the user's tax preparation fee, because the return requires more time to prepare than it should.

• Disgruntled but sticking with Q2007 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Intuit said: Sorry, you can't create custom categories in our app. Why? Because the categories we include have to have a 1:1 match with the IRS Schedule C categories form for self-employed individuals.

This is absurd and false. My schedule C for the last 18 years has had a series of self-defined categories; the form has a place with blank categories exactly for this purpose.

• Disgruntled but sticking with Q2007 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a deal-breaker for me. I am a consultant with specialized expenses - particular expenses are expensive enough that they can't simply be tossed in with these broad categories, and they don't fit in assets or anywhere else.

• Jan Bradshaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add charitable contribution and/or donation category ASAP! Several have requested this. If it can’t be done please advise.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 14 15

Feedback and Knowledge Base