I suggest you...

Customize categories

Even if you could just create "subcategories" under a specific categoty to fit your needs. For instance, under "assets", I would put "music" and "equipment". Under "office supplies", I might add "lesson supplies". I am a music teacher. This would still be aligned with the schedule c categories, bit would allow me to stay more organized as these broad categories apply to my business.

1,616 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    QB Self-Employed TeamAdminQB Self-Employed Team (Admin, QuickBooks Self-Employed) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

117 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a really important feature that's missing. Please include it! It's the only thing preventing me from using the app.

• ValerieValerie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an important issue for me as well. Maybe QBSE could add a 'tagging' function, so we can create custom tags (that apply to our specific business needs) to the 'Other Expenses' on schedule C. As long as we can sort them and export an excel sheet with the tags.

According to the video I should have "chart of account's by the gear...it doesn't exist. Is this some sort of update?

• Wesley FranksWesley Franks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is ridiculous. My car insurance is not personal spending it's insurance on a vehicle that I use for Uber which not becomes a business expense.

• Brent WoodmanseeBrent Woodmansee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add a button "ask my account". This way if you have questions on the category or want to make sure your doing it right. You can click it to mark it for questions later.

• Julie FollansbeeJulie Follansbee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

NEED to be able to customize categories! With so many self employed people in so many different professions, WHY WOULDN"T that be an option when you are targeting this group. I need subcategories too. Will QB add them please? I already have QB Quick Start for another business but THAT didin't allow me to separate them and was confusing. This seemed a good option...maybe not.

• Kaye PorterKaye Porter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just purchased Quickbooks Self employed, and find the limited categories don't allow me to document taxable personal expenses? Creating my own categories isn't an option? Why am I even using this program?

So, let me get this straight: there are no categories for personal spending--other than "Personal Spending"--in a bookkeeping app for the self employed? Seriously?

• Molly PellegrinoMolly Pellegrino commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why do you not have at least the basics???? Like client gifts, charitable donations, inventory, cost of sales, etc? Self-employed is very limited and rigid and practically useless.

• Marney HoffmanMarney Hoffman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really like QB online but I'm struggling due to the limited categories. I'm in the healthcare field and really struggle to categorize my transactions as much if them like continuing education credit fees, conferences, charitable donations etc are all under business other. It would be nice to have the option of adding categories as needed.

• ekgcorpekgcorp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see Personal Categories as well... Like Charitable Contributions, and Medical Expenses.

Also, there doesn't seem to be a way to say to which Schedule C the information should go toward. For instance, I have 2 Rental Property as well as Self Employed. Each one is on their own Schedule C. So, I should be able to pull all transactions and have them grouped by each business.

• Jose MontesJose Montes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes we need more options on categories, You need to have a section for Cost of Goods Sold.

• LCLC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! I also need to be able to customize categories for my business. I am disappointed that quickbooks does not offer this feature.

An absolute must for me also! I cant use Quick books because of this reason! Sage it is then!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base