What features should we work on?

Customize categories

Even if you could just create "subcategories" under a specific categoty to fit your needs. For instance, under "assets", I would put "music" and "equipment". Under "office supplies", I might add "lesson supplies". I am a music teacher. This would still be aligned with the schedule c categories, bit would allow me to stay more organized as these broad categories apply to my business.

2,133 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminQB Self-Employed Team (Product Manager, QuickBooks Self-Employed) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As of 04/29/2019, all customers in the United States can try out our first version of “Custom Categories”! You’ll see we’ve called it Tagging.

You can try it out by logging in to QuickBooks Self-Employed through your favorite web browser and going to our Labs section by clicking on the Gear Icon and going to Labs (note you can also go this URL- https://selfemployed.intuit.com/home#/preferences/labs)

Currently Tagging is only available through the Web (not our Mobile Apps just yet) for US customers.

We would love your feedback as you start using this first version! Please use the “Give Feedback” link on the Labs page as our team will be closely monitoring this.

336 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please revise QB categories so that they have the same name as on IRS Schedule C, and please allow the creation of subcategories so that the buckets are easier for users to identify.

• Renee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

allow users to enter subcategories of spend. And further track personal expense (like in Mint.com)

• Nestor Diaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be cool to have subcategories within the schedule C categories. For example, I don't see a category for the inventory I purchase, the only option I see is categorizing it in "other business expenses" I understand that you guys have to have the expenses categories with the schedule C categories to be able to calculate income taxes, but it would be nice to have more options.

• TD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is absolutely necessary to have sub categories added under other business expenses - doing this manually is a serious inconvience to using this program. The point of buying the program was to save time and have automation. It fails to meet my needs.

• Amy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any way I can at least highlight or make a distinguishing mark on a line item to show that it is a unique category? This will be a disaster at yearend for myself and my accountant if I have to go through each item individual looking at my notes to see what's what.

• randy.visser@gmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see another column added right next to the tax categories column where we could choose another way to sort and classify expenses for internal use only and NOT for tax purposes. I understand you cant change the tax categories. Im a contractor so I need to keep up with my expenses per job, not just all my expenses per category. This seems like it would solve the music teachers problem as well. He could label "assets" as personal (beacause you cant expense assets), and then he could categorize them with this custome column as "assets". So even if an item was marked personal you could still track the asset. It would also solve my problem, I caould mark a business item "materials expenses", then in the custom category I would label it Job #1, or Job #2, and I could keep up with my expense per job.

• Beth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need more categories to capture items that are personal yet tax deductible. Getting just the Schedule C items doesn't accurately reflect taxes owed for a self employed person. Where does the home office go? This needs to be more like Quicken Home & Business.

• Courtney Perry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand that you can't create custom category types in the Self-Employed version of QB to make it easier when filling out the Schedule C for the IRS - and that's great, I don't want to change that; keep that and make it a required field. But for people who want to keep track of transactions on a more detailed level, adding a 2nd category type, in addition to the current one, would allow people to track revenues and expenses more meaningfully and helpfully.

• Diana Woods commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need custom categories to get specific with business *and* personal expenses so I can see where money is going and how to budget.

• Dave Volpe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be great to be able to distinguish between 1099 business income that I need to pay taxes on and W-2 income that is for business but has already had taxes withdrawn.

• Peter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be nice if I could create my own categories, even if they fall under a particular schedule C category. But for my own reference ti would be nice. For instance, "software" purchases are a big expense of mine. This may fall under "materials and supplies" but I'd still like to be able to quikcly know how much I'm spending on software.

• Nick Abram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to add custom categories that are matched to the IRS schedule C items, to make it easier to categorize certain transactions further, there are miscellaneous that don't fall under a category that I need to be able to pull out. Also, I'd like the ability to produce some reports.

• Lily Corsello commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am discouraged from updating my credit card info for SE QuickBooks for another year due to the fact that NO custom subcategories makes it very hard for my accountant and I to do taxes at the end of the year. I still have to literally itemize by hand for my accountant even with your software. Not helpful as is.

• Bryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For tax purposes you need the date, destination, business purpose, odometer reading and total miles driven. It would be nice to have categories for all of these necessary inputs.

• Martin Beebee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be really helpful to be able to categorize business income, since it can often come from different sources. For example, as a photographer I offer Services, Product Sales, Contract Work, etc. Categorizing income this way would allow me to look back and get a better idea where my income is coming from. (Just like Quicken Home & Business.)

Feedback and Knowledge Base