What features should we work on?

Customize categories

Even if you could just create "subcategories" under a specific categoty to fit your needs. For instance, under "assets", I would put "music" and "equipment". Under "office supplies", I might add "lesson supplies". I am a music teacher. This would still be aligned with the schedule c categories, bit would allow me to stay more organized as these broad categories apply to my business.

2,133 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminQB Self-Employed Team (Product Manager, QuickBooks Self-Employed) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As of 04/29/2019, all customers in the United States can try out our first version of “Custom Categories”! You’ll see we’ve called it Tagging.

You can try it out by logging in to QuickBooks Self-Employed through your favorite web browser and going to our Labs section by clicking on the Gear Icon and going to Labs (note you can also go this URL- https://selfemployed.intuit.com/home#/preferences/labs)

Currently Tagging is only available through the Web (not our Mobile Apps just yet) for US customers.

We would love your feedback as you start using this first version! Please use the “Give Feedback” link on the Labs page as our team will be closely monitoring this.

336 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Disgruntled but sticking with Q2007 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Intuit said: Sorry, you can't create custom categories in our app. Why? Because the categories we include have to have a 1:1 match with the IRS Schedule C categories form for self-employed individuals.

This is absurd and false. My schedule C for the last 18 years has had a series of self-defined categories; the form has a place with blank categories exactly for this purpose.

• Disgruntled but sticking with Q2007 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a deal-breaker for me. I am a consultant with specialized expenses - particular expenses are expensive enough that they can't simply be tossed in with these broad categories, and they don't fit in assets or anywhere else.

• Jan Bradshaw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add charitable contribution and/or donation category ASAP! Several have requested this. If it can’t be done please advise.

• Phil Miler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For over 2 years we've been asking the same thing. Customizable Sub-Categories. Why don't you listen? Over 1700 votes and nothing! QBSE has competitors. Deductr allows you to create the sub-categories. What are you waiting for? To lose all your client base?

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There should be a way to add more expense categories. Also the ability to print personal investments and withdrawal transactions.
    This program is really not that good.

• Katie Ameigh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a $1200 transaction that was a donation just sitting because I don't know what to do with it. Please add this category.

• Shane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And this should, along with all the other subcategories, be printable on the P& L / Tax Reports.

None of the subcategories print on the reports.

• Jessy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please do! We need the feature.The answer I got was , "Yes, you may put the Type under "Personal" and the category as "spending"." That it could be sorted out during Tax season. Not very convenient!

• dwilson@llfnc.org commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Unfortunately, I will not use this app due to the inability to customize categories. No way to connect to credit cards either. As is, I would have to still use my excel spreadsheet making for double work.

• R commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like allowing users to modify categories would fix a lot of the suggestions on this board.

But for all of you, just so you know, you can just use the categories that are given and change/add names in excel. So allocate your music and equipment to "office supplies". Then when you go to Tax Reports, download the Tax Details summary, and this will give you an XLS of a summary of your total categories, and separate tab worksheets of each category's expense. All you need to do is change the name of "Office supplies" in excel to "music, equipment" OR a better idea, add in parentheses (Music, Equipment). EASY. Change the name or put your additional name in parenthesis beside the category where you allocated.

• Jon Lyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is probably because they want us on QB Online a higher price point for them!

• Vickie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very disappointed I can not create a custom category. Renders it inadequate for most people.

• Bill Minter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this is a deal killer for us. Wife is a Realtor, I am a consultant. We have got to have customizable categories or tags or some way to make this work. I should have done the trial because I would have bailed when I found this out.

• Jack Willis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried calling your Customer Support @1-855-955-6617.But agents are all busy,Second time my call was on wait and got dropped.

Feedback and Knowledge Base