What features should we work on?

Customize categories

Even if you could just create "subcategories" under a specific categoty to fit your needs. For instance, under "assets", I would put "music" and "equipment". Under "office supplies", I might add "lesson supplies". I am a music teacher. This would still be aligned with the schedule c categories, bit would allow me to stay more organized as these broad categories apply to my business.

2,133 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

AdminQB Self-Employed Team (Product Manager, QuickBooks Self-Employed) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

As of 04/29/2019, all customers in the United States can try out our first version of “Custom Categories”! You’ll see we’ve called it Tagging.

You can try it out by logging in to QuickBooks Self-Employed through your favorite web browser and going to our Labs section by clicking on the Gear Icon and going to Labs (note you can also go this URL- https://selfemployed.intuit.com/home#/preferences/labs)

Currently Tagging is only available through the Web (not our Mobile Apps just yet) for US customers.

We would love your feedback as you start using this first version! Please use the “Give Feedback” link on the Labs page as our team will be closely monitoring this.

336 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Robin DeCristofaro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, Yes, Yes Please! I work with Various Charity organizations and events, and have various business projects that I'd love to track mileage on. Please give us the above categories with sub categories as well. Sometimes More is better ; )

• Ernest D. Cook commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that it would be very helpful if a user could, after swiping right, categorize a trip as being for medical, charity etc.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Let us guide you to the quickest answer
    from out QuickBooks expert. Call us: 1 866 560 7666

• David Beverley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just subscribed to QB self employed. Looks good but it's really strange that I can't customise expense categories. Given how many different types of businesses exist, a glaring omission. I'm having to group things together under general headings that don't relate to my business and remember to decipher later. Not good. Still early enough in the tax year to change brands I guess

• aarquette27@gmail.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

More transaction categories would be great, even customizable, like others have suggested. Inventory, training expenses, conference expenses, things like that.

Being self employed does not mean the only business transactions are those with line items listed on a schedule C. My problem is that there is no inventory or COGS sold account. There are other asset and liability accounts, so why not inventory? COGS seems like an obvious account. I am not looking to track inventory, just want an account to classify my transactions. If there was some flexibility to add accounts this would fix that problem. I understand this product needs to be simple, but some small features such as that or bank reconciliation would really enhance the product and give self employed business the abilty to have their basic account needs without the extra features on your other products.

This is a really important feature that's missing. Please include it! It's the only thing preventing me from using the app.

• Valerie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an important issue for me as well. Maybe QBSE could add a 'tagging' function, so we can create custom tags (that apply to our specific business needs) to the 'Other Expenses' on schedule C. As long as we can sort them and export an excel sheet with the tags.

According to the video I should have "chart of account's by the gear...it doesn't exist. Is this some sort of update?

• Wesley Franks commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is ridiculous. My car insurance is not personal spending it's insurance on a vehicle that I use for Uber which not becomes a business expense.

• Brent Woodmansee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add a button "ask my account". This way if you have questions on the category or want to make sure your doing it right. You can click it to mark it for questions later.

Feedback and Knowledge Base