I suggest you...

Inventory

Need the ability to categorize Inventory Purchases. This is on the Schedule C under COGS. As of now, my purchases are being imported but I can't properly categorize them.

197 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    jlbdistributorsjlbdistributors shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ReginaRegina commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

in a previous post, you suggested using "supplies" as a place to put COGs, and then adjust the name when you export it. Then where do I put supplies, we have office supplies and shop supplies that we need to track.

• RR commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can use the category "supplies" as the place where you put your COGs. Then, when you export the xls tax details summary, just change the name to COGs. A name is just a name. All the programmers need to do is allow users to modify the category names.

• Christina CoxChristina Cox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No COGS category!? This may make QBSE a no-go for us. At first, it looked like an excellent product, only to figure out that simple things like COGs and customer receipts don't exist. WHY, QB, WHY!?!?!?!

• eysjasoneysjason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need COGS, I am buying parts and materials to sell on and have no where to categorize them? Any ideas, will upgrading to another quickbooks product fix this?

• Darby RuossDarby Ruoss commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Inventory is a necessary asset category, I'm disappointed it is not on here. For what we all pay each month to use this service, it would be nice to see this added instead of having comments going back to last year. Shows it's not an important part of a self employed business to Quickbooks.

• Kathy SegerKathy Seger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looking at a schedule C we need a Category for Line 36 Purchases of Inventory to put the items we are going to resell or use to make items to resell. LIne 36 Purchases would not be an expense account but an asset Inventory. Then we need a category to transfer cost of items sold from Inventory to Line 42 Cost of Good Sold With this added and the additional of subcategories to Other Expenses I might not cancel my subscription.

• Renee WendyRenee Wendy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My pottery studio income stream is from (1) memberships, and (2) resale clay purchases. I also sell pottery. I need to keep track of my purchases, whether they are for resale, or for studio use.

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Etsy is promoting this product but many of us on Etsy need the COGS category! What gives?

• Diane AllenDiane Allen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to be able to categorize my Scentsy Inventory. I will have to keep a separate spreadsheet for those expenses. I also have the Paypal fees that I need to be able to categorize. Please add these categories.

• srkicks@outlook.comsrkicks@outlook.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need this ability too. I turned my report for last tax year to my accountant and he wanted to know the breakdown of the "other expenses". Most of the "other expenses" are inventory purchases and some are paypal fees.

• ToriTori commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just realized this after purchasing the software. I have no idea what to do with those purchases or inventory that come in on my business credit card. That is my biggest expense!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of being able to categorize Inventory Purchases renders QuickBooks Self Employed pretty much useless for me.

Feedback and Knowledge Base